Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Is it done?

Above is another of the encaustics I "finished" at the encaustic workshop I took (you can read more about the workshop here).  At the end of the day we had a critique session and it received favorable reviews.  But I have the same issue with it as with other abstract work:
How do you know when it's done?
Now, with the piece below, I "know" it's not done - something in me is screaming that it needs some words added in somewhere (details are not being provided however- hehe).
So I get screams when an abstract piece IS NOT done but I don't always hear anything, feel anything, "know" anything when another piece IS done.  Especially in pieces that start out as experiments I often just look & wonder.  Ugh! 

How do you know when a piece is finished?
Is it a feeling of satisfaction?
And if you don't get that feeling, do you keep going or put it aside for another day?

Help!!

2 comments:

mwegener2010 said...

On FB I quickly answered it's a feeling. When I reread your post I felt a little differently. But I'm not doing encaustic (yet.....). I do play with my photos quite a bit. I can re-edit and do over as many times as I want, but you don't have do-overs with encaustic (do you?) As you "art" encaustically, I think you hone your style & skills, and then your experience tells you when it's done.

Linda Manning Findley said...

I personally say it's done when I look at the piece and am happy with it .... otherwise I keep working or put it aside till tomorrow then look at it again ...... there have been times when I just never could get the wax piece to make me happy and they are still sitting in the unfinished project drawer .... ;-) ... SO are you happy with them because you only have to please yourself with your art ... Linda F