Friday, December 31, 2010

Bye-Bye 2010 - Hello 2011

It's time to say good-bye to 2010 and hello to 2011;
time to reevaluate our goals and the steps we're taking to achieve them;
time to look back & analyze and to look forward & hope.

What are your goals?
Are you going to go a new direction?
Do you care if you sell or do you only create for yourself?
 After moving at the end of 2009, I didn't enter many art shows
and didn't do a single craft show in 2010.
Yet as I look back, I realized I actually SOLD more art during 2010 than any other year
(thank you FaceBook!!)
I took an online class, went to a conference and read lots of articles
in order to learn more about how to do this art business. 
Blog.  FaceBook.  Etsy.  Twitter.
Some of these are easier for me to do than others;
some I haven't even tried yet.
What about you?
But the biggest thing I've learned is the thing I've always known -
the thing that's easiest for me to do cuz I get lost in it,
yet hardest for me to do consistently cuz I'm so easily distracted -
get in the studio and
CREATE
and then get the art in front of a lot of different people so the
right person can see it at the right time and make it theirs.
So, my goals for 2011?
GET IN THE STUDIO!!!

I want to continue to explore this abstract thing - I feel so free while I create - 
and I want to take some encaustic classes - I think I'm in love with wax!
GET IN SHOWS!!!
That's why I've joined every local art association I could find and
I'm so excited about getting five pieces in the show next month.
PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE
(ok, I lied earlier - this is the hardest part!)

If you've already taken steps to change/grow next year, please let me know -
after all, we're all in this together.

As far as non-art decisions, I've decided to try to STOP eating when I get full.
If I accomplish that, I'll work on reducing my diet coke intake.  Again.

ps ~ the pieces above are the ones that I sold last year

pps ~ I have a FaceBook page now if you'd like to come LIKE me
(remember: promote, promote, promote - hehe)

6 comments:

Liz-Anna said...

Beautiful artwork, Sherry! It sounds like you accomplished a lot this year. I know what you mean about the wax...can't wait to get back at it!

Jan said...

Very thought provoking post! I shall have to ponder your points more. right now I'm just surfing my favorite blogs! Hope you achieve all that you wish for in the coming year! Good luck to you! I'll be watching and playing along.

Erin Kenepp said...

Beautiful website! Happy New Year...and thank you for your wonderful blog comments!

sonyamacdesigns said...

Congratulations on an awesome year! Thanks for the good solid sound advise and Happy New Years!

Suzanne said...

What a great year you've had. Good for you. I'm definitely going to stop most of the swaps I've done, and focus on creating to sell. I'm also going to try to get into galleries. Some of the "shows" I do are only for exposure, and aren't really selling opportunities. But I have to get more nerve to approach galleries -- that's what I'll be working on.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the way you take simple subject matter and make it more visibly exciting. Your use of color, materials and textures really make these pieces stand out. art