Thursday, June 03, 2010

Courage

Since I shared a piece of art about it taking courage to create yesterday, I thought I'd share a couple of things related to courage with you today.

The first is that I'm taking an online class. I've never done it before becuz I know my learning style is "group discussion" as opposed to "lecture" or "reading". Not that I don't learn from those things, it's that I don't learn as well those ways (I personally LOVE to read).

But I decided to take this class because, well, I'm getting honest here, I want to grow my art business. My accounting career is at a point where I'm very flexible right now, but, honestly, I would like to not have to do it at all. In order to get to the point where we don't need my income from that we have downsized our house and almost entirely eliminated the debt monster. So now it's time to grow the business. YIKES! That's scary!!

I don't know how to market myself (fear of rejection?) or otherwise promote my business so I'm taking a class from a successful artist who has done that very thing, Kelly Rae Roberts. I do believe it's going to be a full-time job attending this class but I think it will be useful. Hmmm. Today's lesson is about blogging - maybe I should have read it before writing this long-winded post?
BWS tips button

The second thing I want to share is an amazing video. This is something I've never done before but I feel like I have to spread this message. It's not about art or business or marriage but you can relate it to those things. She doesn't give a HOW-TO BE HAPPY speech (she'll tell you why) but talks about the things that get in the way of joy. It touches on what seems like everything - courage, shame, joy, perfectionism, self-worth, authenticity, vulnerability, more.

You should watch it when you aren't rushed - not just cuz it's lengthy but becuz it's so thought provoking
You can read more at Brene's blog, ORDINARY COURAGE.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Sherry

8 comments:

Pam Tucker said...

I'm taking Kelly Rae's course for the same reasons! It's great so far, isn't it? I wish you great success in your business venture.

Roz said...

I really enjoyed this talk and would encourage everyone to take the time to listen.

Bill Ball said...

Wow. This gal is terrific. Where has she been all our lives? There's just too much to absorb here. I'll have to read some of her books (the ones for ordinary people). I loved her comments about "how to's." The difference between shame and guilt sounds pretty close to biblical. Shame has to do with what I am. Guilt has to do with what I've done.

Dad and Mom

Karin said...

HI Sherry!

Summerland Cottage Studio said...

Enlightening...
Positive,
truthful and life affirming.
Brene Brown is now on my blog list!
Thank you for sharing Sherry

Cre8Tiva said...

sherry...real courage is just walk through fear one step at a time...i do it every day...congrats to you for walking thru...just stopping by from a pause in our flying lessons to say hello and say i am so happy to connect with you...

Blessings, R

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva
Cre8Tive Compass Magazine
Cre8Tiva's Blog
Artistically Speaking Talk Show
FAMM Live Radio

suepelletierlaughpaint said...

Hi sherry, thanks for stopping by my blog! the CPS video will be on sale...i believe in july. the course looks great! and your web site/blog are pretty amazing....designed by you? take care!

Robin Norgren-Well of Creations said...

Brene's work is icredible, isn't it? I wanted to pop by and say let's keep flying high! -Robin