Monday, June 07, 2010

Beeswax & Encaustic Play Date

Today two of my friends came over so we could play with beeswax and encaustic. Lisa Bruno runs the stamp section at My Heart's Fancy and Roz Grage is a stamper and my BFF (yes, I'm in the 4th grade!!).

I usually collage the old-fashioned way, with lots of glue or gel medium, then add a layer of beeswax, sometimes with color, sometimes not.

This time NO GLUE.  Yikes!

We all started with a base coat of paint so we could dispel that blank-canvas-syndrome.  We followed this with some modeling paste applied thru stencils.

Then we ate lunch while the modeling paste dried.  I love this time of year with all the delicious fruit so lunch included a great fruit salad mainly made up of berries.  Lisa brought chocolate bundt cake with chocolate chips.  mmmmmmmmm.  (Later we discovered how delicious and how much more healthy it was to eat the cake with a pile of berries on top!!)

After lunch we applied a layer of beeswax with chip brushes and melted them in (and off in some cases) using our heat guns.

Next we added some sheer papers melted in with our irons.

Then the fun (and scary) part:  using only our irons, we added color with encaustics and crayons.

We had soooooooooo much fun.  Not much is better than friends talking, eating and making art together.

Here are the final products.
What do you think of our little experiments?
What do you suggest for names?

Thanks ~ Sherry

linked to the week 22 challenge at LOTS TO DO

9 comments:

Liz-AnnasOnTheLake said...

These are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. Encaustic is one of the things on my to do soon list and I already have the supplies.

How about Playdate 1, 2, and 3 (further to the BFF theme!).

Lisa B said...

Wow they really look different up on the "big screen" :) Mine is growing on me a little more but still needs something....
Thanks so much for having us over to "create" and play - and eat -great time.

Zoechaos said...

Fabulous love playing with texture and pastes this technique of then layering with wax very exciting. Thank you for visiting my little place and leaving your calling card its been a treat to return and see you thrilling work.

crafty creations said...

brilliant !!!! love playing with encaustic and so obviously do you and your pals

Thanks for sharing your work with the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

Roz said...

It's fun to see these on your blog, but they're so much prettier in person. I really had fun yesterday. Thanks for the food, friendship, and fun.

Von said...

another exiting piece :) lots going on
Von

Sherry said...

Thank you everyone.
Von, I think I’m going to use that as the title of this piece cuz it’s so reflective of where I’m at as well as the piece:
LOTS GOING ON

Diane said...

I have to try this--I have everything I need--I just haven't tried it yet.
And I wanted to thank you for your visit to my blog and answer your question. I don't have an Etsy shop, but I'm thinking maybe....at the end of the year..we'll see. I've never tried to sell these before. I'll see how I do with them. I was thinking that these would be great for Etsy, because of their size.

Sunny Lee said...

I love your beeswax paintings. I love using beeswax as well. The textures from beeswax is amazing~