Sunday, July 18, 2010

Creativity Decline


I've been devoting a lot of my time to learning how to grow my creative business.  Then even more time to trying to put some of the things I've learned into practice.  A new blog/website is in the works - same addresses all together with a new look that actually shows some of my art - HOPEFULLY!!!

And all that time and energy spent on the business of art means no time or energy left to be creative on anything but the blog layout.  "Not Creative Sherry" can sometimes mean "Cranky Sherry" but so far I've avoided that thanks to a lot of support.  (Well, maybe you should check with someone else to be sure I'm telling the truth about that - hehe!)

Then, the other day I found an article about the decline of creativity in America.  YIKES!  That's me.  So I read it and discovered so much more than an article about keeping your art alive.  This long but fascinating article discussed the science of how creativity works, how it’s not just art-related, the need for it to solve the world’s problems, and more.

Here’s a quote:
"Creativity has always been prized in American society, but it’s never really been understood. While our creativity scores decline unchecked, the current national strategy for creativity consists of little more than praying for a Greek muse to drop by our houses. The problems we face now, and in the future, simply demand that we do more than just hope for inspiration to strike. Fortunately, the science can help: we know the steps to lead that elusive muse right to our doors."
Like I said, fascinating - so click here to check it out and then let me know what you think.

4 comments:

you can call me Tawny.... said...

It makes me sad to think that if I wasnt around to give my kids some kind of creative education they would have NONE. & its not surprising at all that the creative level is on a decline in our country... we are a society of fast food, reality tv, cattle. driven by the mindlessness of our lives.

whew! that was a bit of a rant! sorry bout that!

Carrie Schmitt said...

I love that Newsweek covered this topic. It does make me sad that creativity is not more recognized for all its benefits to society etc. We do "Art Day Sunday" at our house and my daughter said, "I'm so glad we do this. I don't know anyone else who does this." It made me stop and think how sad that is! Most adults I know who hear that I like art say, "I'm not creative at all. I can't do anything like that." It's as though they've been brainwashed to recite that response in the face of creative possibilities. Mind boggling and a little sad because I really do think we all have the ability to create. Sorry for my rant too:)

jacqueline said...

I am so happy to know that you have been very busy with growing your creative business! That looks like an interesting article. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

Silke said...

Thank you so much, Sherry, for your sweet comment!! I love that quote from Marianne Williamson and think of it often... Now just to live it! ;)

Off to read the article now... Love, Silke