Friday, February 26, 2010

Patience

Picket Fence - maybe????
Patience.
If you know me, you know that I don't really have lots of this.
But, hey, that's an improvement - when I was younger I had none!

But that's not the real point of this post. (Well, after reading the end of what I wrote, maybe it is.) It really has to do with this particular piece of art and selling art in general.

I'll start with the selling art part first: I make art because I NEED to - I've written about that before. But I also intend to sell most of my art. Some pieces sell right away like the two I just sold. But others end up hanging on the walls of my house for quite awhile waiting for a new home. I don't mind looking at them one bit - well, if I do, I pull them down and add them to the pile of substrates in my garage - but I want to be able to spend all my time "arting" and selling is what's gonna get me to that point. Lots of selling.

So this piece that I call PICKET FENCE is hanging in our bedroom. And I've been looking at it. Look how patiently that cat is waiting for that bird. Cats are like that - they take their time, wait patiently and then quickly seize an opportunity. Of course, they don't have to go to work every day - I mean NOBODY could consider napping and preening WORK!!

Anyway, I realized this morning that I have given this piece the wrong name. It should be called PATIENCE - not just cuz of the subject matter but because it hasn't sold for 4 years.

But not just that. Because it hasn't sold so that it can hang in our bedroom and remind me:

WAIT.
WAIT PATIENTLY.
WATCH CAREFULLY.
BE READY TO SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITIES.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare, and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope" Jeremiah 29:11

I already know His ultimate plan, my final destination. Until then, the journey really is the important part. So I'm waiting. And while I wait, I create. While I wait and create, I learn.

And hopefully, while I wait, create and learn, I'll also be growing. As an artist. But more importantly, as the person He wants me to be. I hope. Guess I'll have to wait & see (hehe)~ Sherry

7 comments:

Jan said...

I don't know about your bedroom, but if I wanted to sell a particular work I don't think I would keep it in my bedroom. Maybe it needs to be out where people can see it if you want to sell it. Like an art gallery. Have you considered offering prints of it on cards or cups or something, a place like Zazzle? It's cute.

Sherry said...

Jan, you are absolutely right - there isn't that much traffic in my bedroom (now that sounds naughty!) but I really don't know how to market myself. But your comment has made me realize that no matter how much art I make, I'll never make money from it if I don't GET IT OUT THERE.
Thanks!

Pam Tucker said...

Hi Sherry. I've just been visiting your blog and your website. Wow! Lots of beautiful art and plenty of inspiration.

I also wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments. Re: the CitraSolv, I would love to see your results. And if you have any luck with fashion mags let me know which ones! I have tried a few with no luck. Somewhat of a reaction with Elle magazine, tho. I'll be curious to see what you come up with!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have never been able to find Citra Solv in my area. I've heard of it, but never seen it in the stores. I've used turpentine, which smells to high heaven, on my National Geographic pages. None turned out as nice as yours, though. Turpentine works, but the smell doesn't dissipate for at least two weeks. I love this piece. It is so abstract.

Lourdes said...

Hi Sherry,

Just visiting blogs today and I found yours. Just wanted to comment on how BEAUTIFUL your website looks, not to mention your beautiful art work too!

LiveArt said...

Love your fantastic puzzle tree!!! what a brilliant idea :)

Linda

Sherry said...

SOLD
August 2011

Patience paid off - Finally!!