Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Obscured Book Page Technique

aka - the masking tape thing

Perhaps you want to have some text as a background on your project (collage, card, scrapbook page, tag, etc) and the easiest way is to adhere a page torn from a book. Or perhaps you're actually working in an altered book. But you don't really want someone READING the book page - it's supposed to be the background. I mean, how many times have you put down a page from a book and then found something on it that was totally distracting? Or, worse yet, naughty?

This technique is great for obscuring the text - it still looks like a book page but it's not as legible. Kinda like you sanded it a lot but not as messy. Not sure who came up with this, but I learned it in a class taught by Beverly Seymour (B-Line Designs) several years ago and then forgot about it until I saw it on Tim Holz' 12 Days of Christmas 2009.

So I'm going to try to do my first HOW-TO here - since there are so many photos, I've made them smaller - but you can click on them to see them larger if you like. Here goes:

Supplies needed:

  • adhesive (decoupage medium, soft gel medium, even watered down white glue)
  • applicator (brush, sponge brush, your fingers)
  • substrate (art journal, scrapbook page, card, canvas, canvas board, something you messed up before, wood, metal, whatever you prefer - you could even do this in an altered book)
  • pages of text (from dictionaries, foreign books, engineering books, even phone books - I understand it works best with papers that don't have a shiny finish but I have no proof of that)
  • old fashioned masking tape
Steps:

  1. slap a little adhesive on your substrate
  2. place your page on top of the adhesive (see, told you this was easy)
  3. burnish in place - anything not adhered well will may up completely
  4. let dry (hum-de-dum-de-dum - that's me watching paint/glue dry - hehe)
  5. cover all or part of the page with masking tape ** if you want to make sure something shows when you're done, don't put masking tape on it **

    DISCOVERY: after I started covering these three pieces for the photos, I realized I needed wider masking tape but, alas & woe, didn't have any, so later I tried packing tape and it worked almost as well as the masking tape (and it's pretty cool looking so I saved it to possibly use later in another piece)
  6. peel back the masking tape, starting inside the piece and peeling toward the outside

    Now you have a beautiful, obscured text background that is HIGHLY ABSORBANT. It's perfect for receiving color now but if you want to protect it, just coat it with your adhesive.

Art with Obscured Text Backgrounds:


close up of KEY TO MY HEART.............close up of PEACE.............tag made at Ephemerites

So that's it for my first HOW-TO. What do you think? Would you like to see more?
Thanks for stopping by ~ Sherry

linked to the Something Old Challenge at Mixed Media Monday and
the torn paper challenge at Theme Thursday

25 comments:

L Bruno said...

Love it, love it! Very nice explanation and photo's for all of us "visual" people. I definatley think you should do more. Everyone loves to try something new! You did a great job.

Diane said...

Thank You, Sherry!! I'm going to bookmark this technique--I love the outcome, and yes, I love tutorials!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Miss Sherry How-To..............

NuminosityBeads said...

Thanks for the tip, I'm just delving into new techniques and appreciate any tutorials.

Roz said...

I love the post. Yes you NEED to do more, you've got so much going on in that head of yours, please share. You made it very easy to understand.

sherre said...

I have trouble following instruction, but even I could do this, thanks to your clear directions! sherre

Fran M said...

Great, Sherry - yes, do more. I love tutorials because I'm a visual learner and it helps to know if I'm doing it correctly. You do lots of techniques that I think we all would like to see demonstrated.

NANCY LEFKO said...

great tutorial...thanks !!

Dani said...

Just a thought for people like myself who don't know that much about arts and crafting yet, maybe explain what you mean when you say "burnish" cause I'm lost. Otherwise, its WONDERMAS mama. Love it!

Mary Lynn said...

This is great Sherry and I am going to give it a try on some Valentine tags! Thank you!

Donna said...

Great tutorial Sherry. I especially liked your use of so many photos. Very easy to understand. And yes, you need to do more of these.

Sharon said...

This is great, Sherry. Very clear and easy to understand. Yes, I want to see more.
I have a suggestion for something I want to see demonstrated (I actually bought a book on it but haven't had the energy to tackle): image transfers
Keep up the great work! :o)
Sharon

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Oh thank you for sharing these instructions! I think I can do this...I think I can do this....I think I can do this too! Yeahhhhh!

Seth said...

Thanks for sharing this. A great tutorial!!

Debbie said...

Sherry; Thanks for an enlightening tutorial. (note to self: must try this technique)
Debbie L

Anonymous said...

ok, cool... i just made a lot of some other new emo backgrounds to my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Jeanne said...

Hey, thanks for reminding me about this great technique. I tried it a while back and loved the results.
I think it's time dust off the old masking tape and give it another whirl.
xo
jeanne

Betty Refour said...

this is great! will try it out - thanks:)

Summerland Cottage Studio said...

Sherry,
WELL DONE,
and Yes to doing more in the future.
Thank you for sharing.

Kelly said...

thanks for sharing!

Kris Dickinson said...

What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Hermine said...

Great tutorial, thank you!

Rein said...

This is great, thanks for sharing!

craftytrog said...

Brilliant tute! TFS Sherry! x

The Creative Beast said...

hello fellow Flyer!
i just found this tutorial on obscuring the text when using book pages for collage - i'll try this technique out soon since it seems really easy and fairly fast!

i'm loving what i'm discovering here on your blog!