Thursday, February 11, 2010

Needing Spring

Risk BlossomingThis has been the worst winter I can remember. Now that's not saying a lot cuz I've got that middle-aged-memory problem going on. But really, there has been way too much snow and ice. Not to mention the ugly gray skies. We humans require SUNLIGHT and it has been in short supply lately.

As a matter of fact, Tuesday when I got up and stumbled to the kitchen for a Diet Coke, I saw this purpley-pink line across the window and it actually took me awhile to realize it was the SUNRISE.

I hope it does a repeat performance today!

This is a piece I finished (?) late last month. I started this last summer (when there was LOTS of sunshine) with several different floral photos cut and adhered to a piece of MDF along with some tissue paper. I did a little bit of painting then packed it away looking like this: phase 1When I pulled it out last month it seemed just too flat and bright. The flowers were all so in focus that it didn't have any depth. So I added a wash of gray-blue paint over the background images. Next came some gold dots applied with tiny bubble wrap. Then some color on the edges and a great quote.phase 2Next came a print of a photo I took of gerber daisies and some pattern tissue that I applied with beeswax. OOPS!! That made the quote disappear and that just wouldn't do. So I incised it in the wax with the intention of rubbing color into the incisions. Well, I tried two different ways of trying that but it didn't work very well (I think my wax may not have been thick enough). And when I tried to remove the color, the piece got quite a bit darker. Guess I got rid of that "too bright" problem, huh? completed?I'm looking for new ideas to get the quote to show up because it's a great one:

"and the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Oh, I'm also looking for ideas on the title. Right now I'm calling it RISK BLOSSOMING from the quote but...

Thanks for stopping by - feel free to give me some ideas to make that quote more prominent ~ Sherry


linked to the beeswax challenge at LOTS TO DO

15 comments:

jgr said...

WOW! This is just gorgeous! Thank you for the bit of Spring! Even in the South (GA) we've had too much cold and gloom. Also, I love the step-by-step inspiration. I love your blog.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Looks great !! Makes me believe that Spring really will come back to frozen NH someday :) Title ideas ?? How about, "Courage to Bloom."

Gosh, I love looking at the pendant :)

Jan said...

It looks great to me, really drew me in to see it and your improvements certainly are that. I have never done anything with beeswax so I have no suggestions, hopefully someone else will. Nice Work!!

Diane said...

Oh my goodness--look at those layers!! I know what you mean about lack of sunshine. I couldn't look any possibly worse, and today I had to get my picture taken for my driver's license--of course--only at this time of year :)

Liz-AnnasOnTheLake said...

What a beautiful, blog, Sherry. I love how you are sharing your process. And that pendant you did for Nancy is stunning!

Summerland Cottage Studio said...

This is so happy and bright, it just makes me smile!
And the layering is most creative and begs the viewer to linger, and enjoy it's depths.
Thank you Sherry for sharing.

Martha Lever said...

Oh Wow! This is just beautiful. I like the title and the colors are eye popping and YUMMY!!!!

Mary said...

This is beautiful!!

Mary Lynn said...

WOW! This is so beautiful! I so understand about the winter here. I can't wait for day after day of lovely spring days.

LiveArt said...

Such wonderful colours, flowers and butterflies!!!

Linda

crafty creations said...

A wonderful piece of artwork

Thanks for sharing your work with the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

sam21ski said...

WOW What a transformation and well done one completing it, it looks fab

Thanks for sharing another piece with Lotstodo this week - Sam xxx

Ellie Knol said...

O, this is so beautiful! I love the way you changed it in every step!

Neet said...

This is lovely - have you tried using your heat gun over the quote to disperse some of the wax? If you get blobby edges to the quote you could stamp into them whilst the wax is warm to create an interesting texture. Or do the quote and add it with a thin coat of wax (like dip it in your melt pot if you have one and put on quickly to the wax acts as the glue.

Moniqui said...

Awesome! I love all the layering!