Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Storming (a new encaustic piece)

encaustic, charcoal and hand-made paper (just barely peeking thru)
I started this piece in June at the encaustic workshop I took and just felt it needed a little more.  I did some scraping to even out a few lines then added more charcoal around the edges.  Then I hit it with my crème brûlée torch (again, buying tools and not using them as intended) to smooth out the marks from scraping and blend in the charcoal.

Now that I look at it, the differences are minute.  But important.  At least to me.  ;-p

same piece before I finished it today - can you see any difference?
 

6 comments:

MAura said...

I think I can. Can't wait to see it finished.

Brittany said...

I definitely see the changes. It looks great!

rebecca said...

i'm loving the flow of this- so nice...

Linda Manning Findley said...

looks good the charcoal around the edges really brought out the blue making it so much more dramatic .... I wish this storm was coming to my house we need rain badly ....... ;-) ... Linda F

Liz-Anna said...

Gorgeous! I just bought a new little creme brule' torch to try for my encaustic work. Thanks for visiting my studio, Sherry! In answer to your question, the cups I use are the disposable plastic ones from the grocery store and the styrofoam ones would probably work, too. The dollar store might carry some plastic (not disposable) drinking glasses that would work. The disposable ones do get broken easily.

Geri Centonze said...

Lovely work - so happy to have you as a part of artsee bloggers!