Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Top Three Reasons I Hate to Exercise

I don't like to exercise - what about you?
I'm sure that you know all the reasons why we should be exercising just like I do.
But doing it?  That's a different story.

Here are the top three reasons I don't like exercise:

#3 - SWEAT
I know some folks who barely sweat.
I am NOT one of them.  Not only do I sweat, my hands and feet swell and my face turns red.  Basically, I look like a very plump, very ripe tomato that has just been washed.
A photo of me looking like does NOT accompany this paragraph.
#2 - PAIN
Whoever came up with the idea of "No pain, no gain" must have been a masochist. I mean, really, why does everything good for us have to be so painful?  I wear some of those funny shaped walking shoes that are supposed to make your butt look better (mine are by Fila and I really do love them tho not nearly as much as I love my Christian Loubotin high heels - but I digress) so when I'm done walking, my calves, thighs and padunkadunk all hurt.  While this means I might possibly be beginning to achieve my goals, I still don't like it.
#1 - TIME
This is the one thing I know we all agree on - there just is NOT enough TIME.
And exercise takes up a lot of it.
Nuf said.

Here are the top four reasons I do exercise (at least sporadically)

#4 - HEALTH
As I mentioned earlier, we all know WHY we should exercise. And this is it. Reduced risk of heart disease, alzheimers, cancer and even osteoporosis. And so much more. This should be enough of a motivating factor, especially now that I'm so old, but...NOT!!!
#3 - MIND-WANDERING
This is my favorite part about walking. My mind goes anywhere and everywhere. For instance today, I composed a whole blog post about how hard it is for me to exercise. (Now, this one does NOT work when I'm at the Y lifting weights. I have to count and all sorts of stuff that doesn't allow my mind to wander.)
#2 - TIGHTER
I will never be skinny again.  Thank goodness! I mean really, check out these knobby knees. OMG!
but I do want to have fewer jiggles when I move and fewer rolls when I sit.
#1 - EATING
The number one reason I exercise when I do is cuz I LOVE TO EAT. Good food. Bad for you food. Fast food. (Unfortunately, I don't like veggies tho).  When I exercise, I can eat more and not gain weight. ALRIGHT! This is more motivation to me than a longer life. I know. That is sooooo wrong, but I'm trying to be honest with you.

So there you have it.  Why I usually don't exercise like I should.  Why I do exercise when I do. 

What about you? How do you stay motivated?  Or do you?

Well, now that I've cooled off I can go get in the shower.
Then I can hop in the car, waste some fossil fuels by driving to the 7/Eleven and buy myself a Milky Way Midnight.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - that was worth the walk!

10 comments:

glynis said...

All I can say is us tomato sisters should stick together!! Sweat, swelling, stinking and all!!
thanks for the giggle :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow... MWM - my all time favorite candy bar. Now I have to go get one. - Victor

Kristin Dudish said...

Ha! I love this post :)

I can totally relate!

xo
Kristin

Trudi Sissons - Two Dresses Studio said...

Oh you little tease with the milky way at the bottom - I'd like to just stop at the reasons why I don't which happen to be the same as yours, except time - but I'd add I don't like gasping for breath! It's one of those few things I find reasons to not like.
I do like chocolate bars however, and that's what motivates me to exercise!
Thanks for your kind comments.

Sharon said...

I am with you on the sweat. When I get on the elliptical machine, in 5 minutes, my sweatband is drenched, and after 10 minutes I have to stop to take off my glasses and wipe off my eyes and face or else I get sweat in my eyes! And I have to stop to do it because I can't balance on the elliptical without my hands on the handles! My middle name is klutz.
But I have been negligent for about a month, and after having trouble getting into my jeans today, I have got to start hitting the gym again...

Sherry said...

Oh, yes. I forgot to put reason #4 to hate exercise – being a klutz. Which is why I do NOT do aerobics or zoomba or any type of exercise that requires one body part moving a different direction from another body part. Especially at a high rate of speed.

Carola Bartz said...

My, I had to laugh a lot while reading your post. I do exercise - out of all the reasons we should - and I HATE that I'm actually dripping sweat. It's disgusting!!! I try to do it in the morning, so it's out of the way and I don't have to think about it anymore...

Bevie said...

Well I thought I'd add the one and only reason I can no longer exercise since I used to really enjoy it. I have become intrenched in pain from bad knees, and fibromyalgia~ I've tried to do the swimming exercises, but find I'm unable to move for a couple days afterwards. even tried to continue for several days hoping my body would give in....but it did not!!! I have been big for too many years, but have in the last 5 mos lost 40 lbs. I've changed my way of eating..(much less too) and while on a Christian retreat in Oct even lost 5 of those lbs...and we did eat..hehehehe!!!

Bethany said...

Sweating is good for you, it's important to remember that now that the temps are 103 and up :) I actually feel like I haven't had a good work-out if I'm not drenched and the chemical kick-in keeps you feeling stronger and more energetic all day. If I miss a day, I'm lethargic and my eating heads south! As far as no time..I find if I go to bed at a reasonable hour, 10ish or so I can get up at 5AM and be in the gym by 5:30, that way I'm home and done by 7 b4 my kids are up. THere is nothing like a good second cup of coffee after a hard work-out:) I always have a cup b4 the gym b/c the caffiene actually helps burn calories when you excercise. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit so if you give it 3 weeks of consistency it might change your mind-set. We all go thru slumps and need a bit of encouragement; so keep up the good work just doing something every day:)

Sherry said...

thanks for the encouragement Bethany - I'm sticking with the walking but I still don't like it (tho I've come up with a whole new blog from all the thinking I do!!!)

I need to start weight training again soon - I liked that when I was younger, don't know how I'll feel about it now