Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hope


Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

~ Emily Dickinson

I apparently can only come up with one word names for my art these days:
Hope, Rest, Peace.

I have another work in process that I almost named CREATE but decided to give it a longer name in order to break the habit. I'll show you that one in a few days.

Anyway, back to this piece, HOPE. Before I show you some of the various steps, I have to say I like this piece now - but at least twice in the process I messed something up and had to change direction entirely.

So, do you remember the boards I made in my Obscured Text Background How-To? Well this piece started with the music covered board in the upper left:


Then I added a CitraSolv page, gold paint and some lavender hand-made paper:


Next, some more paint:


Then I tried a photo transfer and it didn't work (at this point, I decided NOT to turn it in to the CitraSolv contest becuz I wouldn't finish in time & when I did, it wouldn't show any of the CitraSolv page):


More paint. Then I tried another image transfer - the bird and it worked. Next I added some spray paint (I did NOT get the look I was going for, probably becuz I'm too used to using spray paint on furniture, going for solid coverage):


I used colored pencil on the bird, added pattern tissue and wrote the first verse of the poem in pencil:


Then beeswax, pearl ex and melted crayon and here it is again completed:


It is so great to be creating again. Thank you for continuing to visit even tho I wasn't around much. I love blogland ~ Sherry

linked to the week 23 challenge at Lots To Do,
challenge #94 at Everybody Art-Challenge and
the June challenge at Alter It Monthly

20 comments:

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

it is fun to create...loved seeing your process...and there is absolutely nothing wrong with one word titles! lol

well done!
ciao bella
creative carmelina

Roz said...

I'm looking forward to seeing it up close. It looks beautiful and calming.

Mary said...

Beautiful!
soothing comes to mind!

Diane said...

Love the way you showed the process of how this came about--I love the effect you created.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Too bad you didn't make it for the contest but I'm sure there will be more to participate in.
-Amanda

Ophelia said...

This piece is simply amazing!

jgr said...

I love it! And thank you for the step by step too. Your citra-solve backgrounds are AWESOME!

Ro Bruhn said...

I love the way you've created the background. I'll have to see if we can get CitraSolv over here.

LiveArt said...

It's absolutely beautiful!! love the depth and textures you create with your different techniques!! Well done :)

Hugs,
Linda

Femmy said...

beautiful card!!

Cath Wilson said...

Love those colours ;)

sam21ski said...

WOW this is stunning, thanks for the 'how to'

Thanks for playing along with us over on Lotstodo this week - Sam xxx

Neet said...

When I saw the thumbnail on Lots to Do I knew I was going to like this piece. I wasn't prepared for it in its full glory.
This is amazing - you are amazing. Thank you for sharing how you made it.

crafty creations said...

Stunning!!!!and that poem is lovely

Thanks for sharing your work with the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

Zuzu's Blog said...

OOooooo pretty.....

Tina46 Kreativblog said...

great work !! lovely image !! thanks for joining in our challenge.
hugs
tina46
eac-team

Zoechaos said...

Thank you so enjoyed reading your notes on this so much to learn. Adore this piece and the wonderful background you have created.

craftytrog said...

Absolutely stunning art! x

Zuzu's Blog said...

Thank you for linking to alter it monthly and sharing. I think it fits in perfectly. you have taken items and made them in to something new and beautiful.


Thanks again

Gillian said...

Thanking you for sharing this project and entering our theme over at Alter It Monthly, amazing depth and layering to this piece.